Anyone traveling to Cuba by plane will need to purchase a tourist card, sometimes referred to as a "visa." Your Cuban Tourist Card will allow you to visit Cuba for 30 days and can be renewed once for an additional 30 days after arrival. 

Anyone traveling to Cuba on a flight arriving from the United States (regardless of nationality or passport country) will need to get a pink tourist card.

Anyone traveling to Cuba on a flight arriving from a country other than the United States will need to get a green tourist card.

After purchasing tickets, travelers should check with their airlines about the tourist card/visa purchasing process—some airlines issue it at the check-in desk and others at a kiosk located at the flight's departure gate. Others allow travelers to purchase the tourist card/visa at a separate office at the airport. Alternatively, you can purchase the tourist card online and have it shipped to you. 

A Tourist Card is also different, and not to be confused with one of the legal travel categories. For non-U.S. citizens, there is no need to declare since the Cuba travel rules don't pertain to non-U.S. citizens. Travelers who are U.S. citizens are required to follow all U.S. travel regulations regardless of the country from which they enter Cuba. 

When a U.S. traveler returns from their trip, the U.S. government has 5 years to ask them to show evidence that they complied with the laws. We recommend that all U.S travelers create an itinerary for their trip and maintain records in the form of photos, receipts, and extemporaneous notes in order to demonstrate compliance. 

For more help with answers to Cuba travel questions, feel free to message any of our local Cuban planners before you book. You can message one or several planners for free by clicking the messaging link on their profile.